Tuesday, August 21, 2012

I Love My Gig

At this point in my life, I'm really enjoying my gig. During any given week my activities might consist of:
  • performing a number of piano tunings, services, or assessments
  • working in my shop on personal or client projects
  • delivering and commissioning one of my rental instruments
  • performing a date with one of the bands I play with
  • playing with a worship band at Sanctuary or another church that might ask me to "sit-in"
  • spending some time with my grandson
  • visiting my aging mother-in-law
  • working on ICC board responsibilities and web site support
  • relaxing for a half hour in my hot tub
My revenue stream is not overflowing its banks right now, but it doesn't need to as Sharon and I have planned for financial stability, both for the present and during our retirement years. After all of the different occupations and life experiences I've enjoyed, I've come to a point where I'm reaching what Sharon has told me is "convergence". She discovered that concept in a book by Brian Stiller. She too has reached convergence and is now engaged in applying the expertise of her years in her gig. Basically, convergence is when all of a person's life experiences come together to form one great singularity of practical, powerful, and meaningful usefulness. (Those are my words for it but I think you get the drift.)

Like me, Sharon really loves her gig. We both feel that what we're doing now actually "means" something and our focus is no longer tied to paychecks and benefit packages. Much of what we do now is voluntary, not because we're saints or anything, but because we've found there is a greater return in plain old fulfillment and purpose than can be measured in cash and perks.

I hope you love your gig too.

Phil Manning - Piano Technician
Owner/Operator of Artist Piano Care

No comments:

Post a Comment